Citrus Flavours

Citrus Flavours
Photo by Scott Bauer

Search This Blog

Background of Blog

This blog has been designed to enlighten the world to sweet and savoury cusine. Personally, my favourite ingredient in cooking is citrus fruits, particually lemons, so I will try to inspire your inner chef to share the interesting flavour of lemons in the most indulgent cupcakes, muffins, cakes, slices, cookies and of course savoury dishes. My collection of recipes can be applied to any situation; formal or informal, in any case they are delicious and will interest your guests! Enjoy preparing and sharing the following recipes for what will be a memorable gathering with friends and family for any occassion.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Orange and Blueberry Muffins

Recipe from Favourite Muffins, Slices and Cakes
Images by Yasmin
(makes approx. 12-16)

The smell of this muffin in the oven began a frenzy around my house. Everyone was asking what I was baking, but due to the sweet sent on oranges, they had already half guessed; Orange and Blueberry Muffins. Only recently have I begun to expand my selection of recipes to muffins. This was because my mother had always warned me when we ate coffee and cake together in the shops that the selection of cakes and muffins can often be dry; something she couldn't stand. For this reason I tended to stray away from muffins because I knew she didn't particularly like them. Now that I am a more confident cook I am happy to spend the whole weekend baking muffins, cakes and slices to my hearts content and not worry about over-cooking. I really enjoyed this muffin and am soon going to make a classic dessert in muffin form; Sticky Date Muffins! My stomach is already rumbling!!!


Ingredients:
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 125g butter, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 185g plain flour
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp bi-carb soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 125g frozen or fresh berries

Method:
Preheat oven to 200'C fan-forced. Peel the rind from the orange, remove all pith, and cut the rind into small pieces. Remove membrane and seeds from orange and cut the orange into segments. Place orange rind and segments, orange juice, butter and egg in a food processor and process until well combined (mixture will curdle). Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Sift together flour, sugar, bi-crab soda, baking powder and salt, add to orange mixture and lightly mix. Batter should be lumpy. Fold in the berries. Divide batter between 12-16 greased muffin tin, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 180'C fan-forced until cooked and golden. Cool on wire racks. Serve.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to wake up to the smell of these baking! The orange/blueberry combo sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look beautiful and so tempting! I love muffins, and just bought three at Whole Foods last night. I make an orange muffin, and have also made muffins in my toaster oven when it is too hot to heat up the big oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corrr these muffins looks so moist and yummy! I've just stumbled across your blog and glad I did! You've got some lovely looking recipes on here, and i like the theme of citrus fruits, I think everyone gets a bit sick of the usual chocolate and sweet flavours!

    ReplyDelete