Citrus Flavours

Citrus Flavours
Photo by Scott Bauer

Search This Blog

Background of Blog

This blog has been designed to enlighten the world to sweet and savoury cusine. Personally, my favourite ingredient in cooking is citrus fruits, particually lemons, so I will try to inspire your inner chef to share the interesting flavour of lemons in the most indulgent cupcakes, muffins, cakes, slices, cookies and of course savoury dishes. My collection of recipes can be applied to any situation; formal or informal, in any case they are delicious and will interest your guests! Enjoy preparing and sharing the following recipes for what will be a memorable gathering with friends and family for any occassion.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Passion

 By Basher Eyre

As a result of me wishing away these last 40 days, I have been looking for the first opportunity to end the fasting and satisfy my cooking cravings. Before today I was not certain when Lent officially ended; at the start of The Passion or at the end with Easter? Instead of using my handy assistant, Google, I decided that one of the most knowledgeable people that I know would be my mother; as she is a religion teacher I believed her to be well suited for the task.

So what is my answer? For all of those who cannot wait a few days longer, Lent ends on Thursday at the Last Supper and washing of the disciples feet. From here on in is the upsetting happenings of The Passion, as cruelly depicted in the movie 'The Passion of Christ', directed by Mel Gibson.


By Stefano Costanzo

This answer was exactly what I was looking for and is very exciting news. It is amazing to imagine what Jesus must have witnessed and suffered during his time with us on earth. I have felt nothing compared to what Jesus went through, and although my small fasting was difficult, it has widened my understanding of Jesus' actions and enabled me to appreciate what he gave up for us.

One way to show my appreciation and thanks with this new found knowledge is by accepting the invitation to have my feet washed tonight at Church. It is an honor to be offered a position as one of the twelve disciples tonight as we reenact the celebration of the Last Supper.

On this night Jesus said to his disciples that one of them will betray him and the prophecy will be fulfilled over the coming days. He said that they will be scared and saddened by the consequences but that he will come again and they will be happy once more; this would happen on the third day.

I am just amazed at Jesus mental, physical and emotional strength to be able to cope with all of this pressure and hardship so that the prophecy could be fulfilled and mankind saved. There is one time when we see that Jesus needs reassurance and guidance from his Father; after The Last Supper Jesus takes his disciples to a garden to watch out for him (because he knew the betrayers time was soon) while he prayed. During this time Jesus says, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

The “cup” in this pray refers to Jesus' suffering and death at the hands of sinful men. Therefore, a simple interpretation of this pray can be concluded. Jesus honors and trusts his Father's judgement for the good of mankind, but is scared of his fate, therefore, he confides in his Father to, if possible, change the path that has been chosen for him; however, Jesus understands that God is all powerful and loving and knows best for his people. Thus, let God's will be done.

Jesus final act on earth would open up the gates of heaven for everyone; Gentile or Jew, woman or man, sinner or beggar. The moral to his actions is that everyone is welcome to the house of God, it is ok to make mistakes on earth - just repent and all will be forgiven.

I wish everyone a safe and happy Easter with family and friends. May God watch over us all. If possible, I encourage everyone to attend mass at some point this week, if not every day from Thursday to Sunday. People are encouraged to attend mass on each of these days because each mass is connected; all of these days are The Passion. Hence why there is no entrance hymn or concluding hymn; because The Passion hasn't ended yet.

God bless and take care.

Happy Easter.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Easter to you as well. Thanks for the visit. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to you too! You've done well to resist retreating back into the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get me started on religion!

    ReplyDelete